Chief Community Services Officer
Chief Community Services Officer
Chief Community Services Officer
File No: MNU-22-31
Date Posted: November 10, 2022
Closing Date: November 23, 2022
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week (Full Time)
Wage: $99,659 – $126,812
Reporting to the CEO, the CCSO is responsible for the effective and efficient oversight and management of Ongwanada’s community supports and services, ensuring the intent and purpose of Ongwanada’s mission, vision and strategic and operational plans are consistently promoted through these services. Present oversight responsibilities include Supported Group Living Settings, Host Family/Life Share, Supported Independent Living Settings, Community Participation Supports, Respite and Volunteer Services. The CCSO ensures effective use of resources in providing quality services, assists in the development of human capital, responds to program needs, delivers clear messaging and awareness, and ensures the needs of people supported are understood and reflected in priorities for the delivery and enhancement of services.
Safety is a priority of Ongwanada. Staff are responsible for maintaining their competencies, promoting safety and are accountable for effective person-served care. Employees are expected to follow all safe working practices established by Ongwanada for the protection of the health and safety of all workers, persons-served and visitors and to identify and report actual or potentially unsafe situations.
Ongwanada offers a defined benefit pension (HOOPP), and a competitive benefit plan.
Accountability – the CCSO is accountable to the CEO to:
- Lead and develop services capable of adapting to the changing needs of people served and supported, their families, and the community;
- Work within an approved budget and ensure resources are allocated wisely;
- Ensure people supported have individual support and person-centered plans in place and that these are followed;
- Ensure staff have the support, supervision, orientation and training to carry out their responsibilities;
- Provide a safe, healthy, and productive work environment and maintain a harmonious working relationship with staff;
- Develop and maintain positive and strategic relationships with key stakeholders and within Ongwanada itself;
- Provide reliable and timely information and data to support decision-making processes of community services, and the organization; and
- Minimize financial and legal liabilities of Ongwanada.
Serving as a resource to the CEO and to Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
- Actively participates in SLT, reporting progress on strategic directions, annual operational and other identified goals;
- Oversees operational strategies within scope of role;
- Assumes the role of lead for committees and projects as assigned by the CEO; and
- Prepares background information as required relative to planning, monitoring quality, and ensuring stability.
Compliance with Legislation and Risk Management
- Understands, interprets, and ensure compliance with legislation and regulations and policy and procedures;
- Identifies needed planning and organizational development; and
- Identifies/communicates potential liabilities and risks with plans to mitigate the same.
- Oversees efficient and effective day-to-day operations of residential and community supports;
- Works with SLT in the development of annual operational plans;
- Engages department leaders in the development/promotion of a safe, healthy, productive, and respectful work environment; and
- Works with SLT to ensure a contingency plan in the event of an unexpected or unusual event or disaster.
Service Delivery Management
- Oversees planning, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services and outcomes under the scope of this position;
- Ensures adherence to individual support and person-centered plans for people supported;
- Ensures reflection of mission/vision/values and interests of people supported;
- Evaluates regularly to ensure meaningful outcomes for people supported and adherence to quality standards;
- Follows up and holds accountable those responsible for delegated actions; and
- Assists in ongoing consultation with key stakeholders.
- Provides mentorship, professional guidance and support to the management team in supervision of staff and resolution of concerns; providing a positive, fair, and learning environment;
- Conducts performance reviews of direct reports and ensures performance reviews of other staff under the scope of authority are appropriately completed;
- Determines education /training needs and annual training plan for staff and direct reports;
- Ensures that disciplinary action is carried through and reported according to policies & procedures, as required
- Works within prescribed processes to ensure development and implementation of an annual budget;
- Authorizes expenditures within approved budget and within delegated scope of authority while maintaining the financial stability and viability of the programs and working within the overall financial position of Ongwanada;
- Provides relevant data and ensure accurate reporting on variances within a timely manner;
- Ensures formal systems and processes are adhered to; and
- Identifies opportunities for innovative approaches to problem solving and improving quality and value of services.
- Provides leadership and initiative in developing and maintaining positive relationships both internal/external;
- Ensures effective communication with staff, people supported and their families, and within other departments and the Senior Leadership Team ;
- Supports the public image and credibility of Ongwanada; and
- Ensures overall control/oversight in difficult/stressful situations.
Physical Facilities Meeting
- Identifies needs and works with maintenance/finance/SLT to ensure homes/facilities are in a good state of repair;
- Ensures homes feel like homes and represent the individual interests of the residents;
- Ensure appropriate and safe working conditions; and
- Ensures compliance with applicable legislation, regulations and policies.
- Completes a self-performance evaluation annually and as requested;
- Participates in a performance evaluation process and follow up on any stated actions/goals;
- In conjunction with SLT, furthers the development of long range plans leading to the growth and enhancement of services/supports; and
- Attends professional development opportunities as approved by the CEO.
- Participates on organizational committees/task forces as assigned
- Performs “On-Call” duty during “off hours” as required;
- Acts as CEO when assigned;
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
- Completed undergraduate degree in social service, health, or related field; master’s level preferred
- 5+ years of progressive management and leadership experience, preferably in developmental services or a related sector
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s Developmental Services Sector;
- Creative problem solving, decision making, mediation, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to lead, develop, mentor, and advocate for others
- Experience leading and managing change
- Budget and resource management experience
- Experience working within a unionized environment preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Computer proficient
Please submit a Cover letter and Resume quoting file number to:
Lorna Wilson, Chief, Human Resources Officer
191 Portsmouth Avenue
Kingston, ON K7M 8A6
Fax (613) 548-8135 Email: email@example.com